Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson (Remastered) LP
Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson is a brilliant undertaking in which Verve's legendary "house pianist" encountered one of jazz's most revered giants. A significant part of Peterson's genius was his ability to be an exceptional pianist and leader, while also being a perfect accompanist when the circumstance demands... and in a situation like this, to be both. Armstrong is not only recognized as one of the most innovative, singular, fascinating and beloved artists of the 20th century, but also one of the most generous in the way he embraced and stimulated his collaborators. Backed by the Oscar Peterson Trio — bassist Ray Brown and guitarist Herb Ellis, and augmented by frequent fourth member Louis Bellson on drums — these peerless heavyweights created an album that is utterly compelling, radiantly jubilant and consummate in artistry.
The musicians provided the setting for the jewel that is Pops, with Peterson perfectly embellishing every phrase Armstrong sings or plays. The focus here is primarily upon his totally personal and thoroughly captivating vocal style, with his occasional trumpet solos limited in all but one case to a single chorus. Essentially culled from the Great American Song Book — Cole Porter, the Gershwins and Harold Arlen among the songwriters — the pieces range from poignant ballads and blues to effusive easy-grooved swing. Each song is an exquisitely crafted gem that will warm the heart and enrich the soul.
- Acoustic Sounds Series reissues from Verve/Universal Music Enterprises!
- Monthly releases highlighting the world's most historic and best jazz records!
- Mastered by Ryan K. Smith at Sterling Sound from the original analog tapes
- 180-gram LPs pressed at Quality Record Pressings!
- Stoughton Printing gatefold old-style tip-on jackets
- Series supervised by Chad Kassem CEO of Acoustic Sounds